Green and Natural Living
It is very easy to do a Google search for how to do anything in this digital age and on a daily basis we are bombarded by headlines and news about how we are facing a climate crisis like never before and how plastic is every where. This access to information means it is very easy to become overwhelmed, fearful and confused, this can then lead you to doing nothing as you really don’t know what to do for the best.
However, I am here to help you overcome the information overload and help you to start living a greener life today with easy daily actions that will make a difference. Greener swaps that will fit with your lifestyle, whether you live in a busy city or a small market town or like me in the countryside.
Don’t worry if you are new to going green as I will be sharing lots of easy ways to go green, with simple everyday actions that will get you going green the fun and easy way.
I am Jackie Elton and I have over 30 years experience of living a greener more sustainable life. I have been interested in environmental issues for as long as I can remember and there is nothing I like more than reading and rearching what is the best green or ecofriendly option for every day.
I grew up in rural Lincolnshire on a small holding in the Fens. On the smallholding my mum kept goats, pigs, sheep and chickens. I helped out with bottle feeding the kids and lambs, hand shearing the sheep and angora goats, and hay making. The smallholding was surrounded by traditionally farmed agricultural land.
I went to Liverpool University for 3 years where I gained a degree in Zoology. I have always been interested in science, specifically biology, chemistry and the natural world.
I have had a varied career, in different environmental fields, which included:
- terrestrial ecologist doing plant, badger and great crested newt surveys
- recycling and waste minimisation officer for a local council
- Real Nappy Co-ordinator for Lincolnshire
- Green Aspirations an ethical business selling environmental and ethical gifts
At my home in Lincolnshire I have:
- solar PV panels for electricity
- solar thermal panels for hot water
- a wood burning stove
My green lifestyle includes:
- using washable nappies on both my children in the early 2000’s
- buying fair trade and organic products including coffee and tea
- using cruelty free toiletries and make up
- buying ethical and/or organic clothing when feasible
- being a conscious consumer – thinking about products before I buy them